Out of School Care
Northern Lights Public Schools offers a child care program called Out of School Care for families in need of child care surrounding school hours. To be eligible for this program, children must be enrolled in Kindergarten and up.
Our program offers:
- Professional, certified child care staff;
- Quality accredited programs that complement the students’ in-school programming;
- Government subsidies are available through Human Services;
- A standard of excellence over and above Alberta’s regulated requirements;
- Constructive and caring environment, with skilled professionals;
- A strong commitment to child care from Northern Lights Public Schools;
- Emphasis on arts, multiculturalism, physical activity and child leadership;
- Field trips, science activities, and crafts.
Registration for the 2018-2019 school year will open on June 1 for full-time users only. The registration form will be available through the PowerSchool Parent Portal. If you already have a Parent Portal account set up, you can log in, click on School Engage in the lower left hand corner and you will be able to see and fill out the form. If you do not already have a Parent Portal account set up, please contact your school for information.
PowerSchool Parent Portal Account Instructions
Once you have submitted your form, it may take up to five working days (Monday-Friday, excluding statutory holidays) to review and approve your enrolment. Once your enrolment is approved, you will receive notification that your deposit fees are available to be paid through School Cash Online. Please note that registrations received after June 22 will not be processed until staff return to schools following the summer break (August 22).
School Cash Online Account Instructions
The Out of School Care program requires 30 days written notice to withdraw from Full-Time Care (AM or PM).
Once you have registered and paid your deposit in June (or thereafter) for the upcoming school year, you may withdraw prior to August 1 and be refunded your full deposit. (Subsidy deposit or first/last month fee deposit) If you withdraw on or after August 1, you will only be refunded your last month fee deposit, provided you have given 30 days written notice.
Once OSC received your 30-day notice, you will entitled to your deposit/last month fees back, provided you have no outstanding fees owing. You may withdraw anytime throughout the school year by providing 30 days notice.
Important Dates and Deadlines
- June 1 - Registration opens for full-time users.
- June 22 - Deadline to submit registration to secure your spot before summer break. Parents will be able to fill out a registration form over the summer, but the forms will not be processed until staff return to schools after the summer break.
- June 28 - Last day of school
- August 22 - Staff return to schools after summer break. Anyone who submitted registrations between June 23 and August 22 will have their registrations reviewed and will receive information on how to pay their deposit before school starts.
- August 24 - Deadline to pay your deposit through School Cash Online if your registration has already been approved.
- September 4 - First day of school for grades 1-12 and first day of Out of School Care
- September 10 - First full day for all Kindergarten students and start of Out of School Care for Kindergarten students
Registration for Casual Care for the 2018-2019 school year is currently not available. Casual Care will only be offered as space permits. Availability will be determined closer to the start of the school year. It may not be available at all sites.
Locations and Fees
Out of School Care will be offered at these schools in 2018-2019. Please click on the links to see what options are available for each location and what the fees are:
Parent and Student Handbooks
More information about our Out of School Care program and what it offers for families is available in our Parent and Student Handbooks.
If you are registered for Full-Time Out of School Care, Non-School Days will be available to purchase throughout the school year through School Cash Online.
In 2018-2019 Out of School Care will be offering care on the following Non-School Days:
- September 21
- October 5
- November 23
- December 7
- January 18
- February 14 & 15
- March 8 & 22
- May 17
- June 7
Please note that while Monday, October 22 is a Non-School Day, it is a Professional Development Day for all staff, so no Out of School Care will be offered on that date.
As well, some sites may offer care during Winter (December 24 – January 4) and Spring Break (April 15-22). Watch for information closer to those dates about if and when care will be offered.